Travel Requirements for Minors (Philippine Passport Holder)

Just arrived home from work – I received a call inquiring about Filipino Passport Holders (Minor), she asked me about the travel requirements set by the Philippine Government for traveling minors . . ., “Are there any requirements aside from my passport, visa, and ticket?
1. Valid Passport for At Least Six Months.
2. Birth Certificate if minor is traveling with parents or one of the parents, and;
3. Travel clearance, if minor is:
• Traveling alone to a foreign country.
• If accompanied by a person other than his/her parents (Source: Administrative Order No. 2, Series of 2006).
• He/she has a Permanent Residency Card.
• He/she holds a valid pass as holders of permanent residence card.
• He/she is not a Filipino citizen and holds a foreign passport.
With regard to the validity of the Travel Clearance, please be informed that it is valid of a period of one (1) year from the date of issuance and shall be valid for multiple travels within the period, PROVIDED the conditions under which the travel clearance issued have not changed.
DSWD Building, Constitution Hills, Batasan Complex, Quezon City
Telephone Number: (+632) 931-8101 – 07


To prevent child trafficking, Republic Act 7610 (otherwise known as Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act) requires unaccompanied minors below 18 years old who are traveling abroad to secure a travel clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development or written permit or justification from the child’s parents or legal guardians (Article IV, Section 8a).

A Travel Clearance is a document issued by the DSWD to a minor traveling outside the Philippines, alone or unaccompanied by his/her parents or accompanied by a person other than his/her parents certifying that the minor is authorized to travel abroad for valid reasons.

Who are required to secure a travel clearance?
1. Children below 18 years old traveling abroad and who are in any of the following circumstances:
a. Traveling alone;
b. Traveling with a person other than his/her parents or those exercising parental and legal custody of the child;
c. Traveling for the purpose of adoption abroad (inter-country adoption);
d. Minor adopted in the Philippines;
2. An illegitimate child traveling with his/her father*; and
3. A minor traveling with a group for sports competition, cultural presentation, pilgrimage, scholarship purposes or study tours.

Who are NOT required to secure a travel clearance?
1. A minor whose parents are in the foreign service or are living abroad or are immigrants provided he/she is holding a valid pass such as a dependent’s visa/pass/identification card or permanent resident visa/pass/identification card which serve as proof that he/she is living with parents abroad.
2. A minor traveling with either or both parent/s* (*except #2 above)

Is a travel clearance being issued to illegitimate children?
1. Illegitimate children are under the custody of the mother. If they will be traveling with the mother, they are no longer required and will not be issued a travel clearance.
2. But if the illegitimate children will be traveling with a person other than the mother, they will be issued a travel clearance.

What are the requirements for illegitimate children abandoned by the mother and under the custody of the father or paternal relatives who will be traveling alone or with the father?

Since the mother has the absolute parental authority over her children, the father would need to secure a Court Order vesting in him the parental authority over the illegitimate children.

Once the parental authority is granted to the father, if the minor will be traveling with the father, they are no longer required to secure a travel clearance but if the minor will travel alone, he/she is required to secure a travel clearance for unaccompanied minor.

What is the policy for those going abroad for schooling or scholarship purposes?

The minor should secure a travel clearance from DSWD by submitting the required documents.
For Inquiries: Metro Manila residents may call up 523-9117 or 525-2445, or visit 1680 F. Tirona Benitez St., Malate, Manila. Non-Metro Manila residents may get in touch with DSWD Field Offices nationwide.




Information about PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATION. . .
This entry was posted in Immigration, Philippine Immigration, Philippines. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s